Incase you didn’t know, it’s British Pie Week from 5th-11th March.
To get you ready, our executive chef Massimo Tebaldi has shared his recipe for the best steak and kidney pie you’ll ever make.
If for any reason cooking isn’t your thing, we will also be offering a luxury pie menu in all our pubs. Dishes differ in each pub but we promise they will be bleedin’ delicious. Think wild boar with Valrhona chocolate pie; rabbit, organic cider and Old Winchester pie or even apple and pear pie with lashings of homemade custard.
What you’ll need
300g puff pastry
1 lightly beaten egg
For the filling:
2 tbsp vegetable oil
750g diced good quality stewing beef diced
250g diced lamb kidney
2 diced onions
2tbsp plain flour
850ml beef stock
Salt and black pepper to taste
A dash of Worcestershire sauce
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan and brown the kidney then remove the kidney and set to the side
- Then brown the beef in the same pan
- Add the onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes
- Sprinkle the flour over the beef and onions
- Add the stock to the pan, stir well and bring to boil
- Turn the heat down and simmer for 1½ hours without the lid
- Then add the browned kidney and simmer for further 15 minutes
- If the liquid evaporates too much add more stock
- Remove from the heat
- Add salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce and allow to cool slightly
- Place the cooked meat mixture into a pie dish
- Roll out the pastry to 5mm thick and 3cm wider than the dish you are using
- Lift the pastry and place it over the top of the pie dish
- Brush the surface with beaten egg
- Bake for 40 minutes at 220C
- Eat like a king.